Fresh hell from the animal food manufacturers...
ExperTox, a Texas lab, found acetaminophen (a fifth possible contaminant) in at least five samples of pet food that were submitted by pet owners and pet manufacturers. The medication was mostly found with cyanuric acid, and hundreds of other samples that were sent in tested positive for melamine. The contaminants were found in pet foods that have not been recalled.
ExperTox said that the highest level of acetaminophen was found in a dog food sample submitted by a pet food manufacturer, but the lab is not identifying the company. The FDA is now investigating the findings from the lab and a FDA spokesperson says that: ďwhatís significant is these things are there. They donít belong there.Ē
The article also mentions Don Earl and how he tested his catís food and found acetaminophen and cyanuric acid in it. His cat, Chuckles, was eating Pet Pride cat food and died in January. Many Itchmo readers may already be familiar with Donís story and his website.
(Thanks Maureen and many other readers)
Posted in NAs we were breaking news of a Texas lab reporting cyanuric acid in unrecalled food, an Itchmo reader informed us that he had a lab test turn up positive for acetaminophen on May 21. The results came from the same lab as the one cited by the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
Hereís what Steve M. said in our comment section on May 21 at 11am:
I sent a sample of the Hillís Science Diet Sensitive Stomach formula food, from the bag my cats had been eating from when they became ill, to Accutrace in Arlington, Texas. For $144 they agreed to test for the suspected pet food toxins (Melamine, Cyanuric Acid, Aminopterin, etc.) as well as other common toxins to pets. I received a call from the Lab today with the results of their analysis. To my surprise they did not find any of the suspected pet food toxins. But they did find something that is very toxic to cats in the food, Acetaminophen. If you are not familiar, acetaminophen is a pain reliever, marketed under the most common name as Tylenol. A little research will tell you that it doesnít take much of this stuff to poison a cat.
This is not a case of my cats got into a tylenol capsule that was dropped on the floor or someone came into my house and spiked my open bag of cat food. This is a case of a known toxin to cats coming packaged in a bag of cat food from the store.