+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Giuliani supports Army buildup nearing 600,000

Arrow Giuliani supports Army buildup nearing 600,000

Glad to hear.The army should be increased exponentially to prepare for a three front war

---

Giuliani supports Army buildup nearing 600,000

By JIM DAVENPORT
    Associated Press Writer

May 5, 2007, 2:18 PM EDT

CHARLESTON, S.C. -- Republican presidential hopeful Rudy Giuliani on Saturday called for boosting the Army by another 35,000 troops, saying the nation must project strength and better handle the aftermath of war.

"I believe America needs at least 10 new combat brigades above the additions that are already proposed by President Bush and are already in the budget," the former New York City mayor told a class of 438 cadets during a commencement speech at The Citadel, a public military college.

Brigades typically have about 3,500 troops. The Army now has almost 512,000 troops, the limit set by Congress.

Defense Secretary Robert Gates in January recommended to Bush that the Army over the next five years increase its active-duty soldiers by 65,000 to 547,000. Giuliani would raise that limit to 582,000.

Giuliani said the new brigades would reinforce the Army in places where they are needed most and help prevent other nations "from calculating that America may be stretched too thin."

The Citadel, which gave Giuliani an honorary degree, is a cherished institution in South Carolina whose cadets once fired on Fort Sumter in nearby Charleston harbor, starting the Civil War. It also was the scene of a tumultuous fight over the admission of women to its corps more than a decade ago.

Giuliani won cheers from the cadets telling them the military needs more resources to get the job done and criticizing past practices of cutting military strength after wars.

"The idea of a peace dividend was always intellectually flawed. It was also strategically flawed," he said. "We need to not only win the war, we have to win the peace as well."

Charlene Gunnells, a spokeswoman for the college, said Giuliani was invited to speak months before declaring his presidential ambitions, because of his role in leading New York after the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks.

About a third of the college's cadets go into active-duty service or the National Guard.

"The reality is that in this world today, there are people _ terrorists, Islamic, radical terrorists _ who are planning as we sit here at this graduation, who are planning to come here and kill us," Giuliani told them.

Copyright 2007 Newsday Inc.
    http://www.newsday.com/news/local/wi...gion-apnewyork

The great eye of NERD Aziraphael's Avatar

Default Re: Giuliani supports Army buildup nearing 600,000

600,000 Americans? Yeah, sure, I'll support that... infact, it is about the least you can do to sort out this mess. Fuckit, Australia can afford to double our committment too.
    The end does not justify the means. No one's rights can be secured by the violation of the rights of others.
    -- Ayn Rand, "The Cashing-In: The Student Rebellion," Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal

Quote Originally Posted by Aziraphael View Post
    600,000 Americans? Yeah, sure, I'll support that... infact, it is about the least you can do to sort out this mess. Fuckit, Australia can afford to double our committment too.
    You support?

Exactly how does that work out then?

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
    You support?

Exactly how does that work out then?
    You mean given that I am left leaning on more than a few issues? Well I think you should sort out this mess and not just leave the country to all out civil war.

I support a 600,000 strong army of americans in iraq in the same way that I support rubbing a dogs nose in it when he pees on the carpet. Sounds harsh, but you wont learn otherwise.

To be fair that was just an inflammatory analogy, I really just dont want to see millions of innocents left in the middle of a civil war, and I think a huge american army could stop that. What I didnt support was a measly surge of a few thousand as it was just a useless symbol.
    The end does not justify the means. No one's rights can be secured by the violation of the rights of others.
    -- Ayn Rand, "The Cashing-In: The Student Rebellion," Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal

You mean given that I am left leaning on more than a few issues? Well I think you should sort out this mess and not just leave the country to all out civil war.

I support a 600,000 strong army of americans in iraq in the same way that I support rubbing a dogs nose in it when he pees on the carpet. Sounds harsh, but you wont learn otherwise.

To be fair that was just an inflammatory analogy, I really just dont want to see millions of innocents left in the middle of a civil war, and I think a huge american army could stop that. What I didnt support was a measly surge of a few thousand as it was just a useless symbol.
    No I mean, how does yours, or Autralias support mean anything whatsoever in the context of a domestic decision of whether to enlarge our army, or not

Quote Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
    No I mean, how does yours, or Autralias support mean anything whatsoever in the context of a domestic decision of whether to enlarge our army, or not
    It doesnt affect the decision, but that doesnt mean I cant support or be afainst it. In anycase, it matters to my gov who may or may not send more troops, and that, in some small way affects the decision made in your country. Whether you like it or not, we are one big global village these days, and global opinion matters to at least some degree.

It doesnt affect the decision, but that doesnt mean I cant support or be afainst it. In anycase, it matters to my gov who may or may not send more troops, and that, in some small way affects the decision made in your country. Whether you like it or not, we are one big global village these days, and global opinion matters to at least some degree.
    We are not one big global village, and world opinion and a buck will buy you a cup of coffee. World opinion is whats offered by nations without the will or ability to enforce their political desires. Thats not to say Australia isn't able, they can and do get involved on a small scale

LMFAO

The US must project strength.......

Well here's an idea, then don't get into wars we can not win. Fucking morons. A three-front war. The US does not need to be involved in a three-front war. What's he referring to, Iran?

Oh well, Giuliani will never see the inside of the white house so...just more blathering. The military will build itself up with or without Giuliani. It's overburdened and overtaxed already. So his stating this is really yet more non- news.
    Amazing how many idiots believe everything they read online... (Christ how obvious do I have to be)

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. - George Bernard Shaw

Cool Re: Giuliani supports Army buildup nearing 600,000

Quote Originally Posted by Bitch View Post
    LMFAO

Well here's an idea, then don't get into wars we can not win.
    Without political interference there is no war we could not win. But without the will, there is no winning. Politicians and the liberals have no spine.

Your idea of not fighting unless you know you can beat someone sounds like bullyspeak.

---

So, if two men were raping and beating you - your husband shouldn't attempt to help you unless he knew he could take them?
    VOTE DAMMIT, VOTE OFTEN!

Quote Originally Posted by DammitBoy! View Post
    Without political interference there is no war we could not win. But without the will, there is no winning. Politicians and the liberals have no spine.

Your idea of not fighting unless you know you can beat someone sounds like bullyspeak.

---

So, if two men were raping and beating you - your husband shouldn't attempt to help you unless he knew he could take them?
    Many people before, hell Bush's own daddy, said they couldn't take baghdad basically. They knew it. Seems like everyone but the neocons knew it. YET they still went forward with half ass plans. AND little to no plans for a sustained conflict and nation building. If they had pulled out after they 'accomplished the mission' of getting saddam that would have been one thing. Instead they've entrenched themselves and there is no 'winning' when we don't even know what a 'win' is suppose to look like.

And no, I'm not in favor of the US going around protecting everyone who is getting raped. It should be a multinational coalition like the UN. It's time we get smarter about the wars and issues we involve ourselves in. There's a helluva lot of shitty things going on in the world and we are not the world's policeman.

As far as the analogy of my husband - his choice and it affects him alone. We're not talking about a choice by a president that affects THOUSANDs of people.

ETA --- but yes I should have worded that differently and stated unless we have a very good idea of the goals, potential outcomes and have a damn good shot at 'winning'.
    Last edited by Bitch; 05-06-2007 at 09:14 AM.
    Amazing how many idiots believe everything they read online... (Christ how obvious do I have to be)

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. - George Bernard Shaw

+ Reply to Thread