2 cups plain flour
2 tsp. dry yeast
1 tbsp. sugar
3 tbsp. butter
2 tbsp. curds
1/2 cup warm milk
1 tbsp. milk extra
1 tbsp. poppy seeds
1 tbsp. raisins
1/4 tsp. saffron strands
1. Sprinkle yeast and sugar over warm milk.
2. Keep aside for 30 minutes of till very frothy.
3. Rub saffron into remaining 1 tbsp. milk. Keep aside.
4. Mix flour and salt in large plate. Form well in centre.
5. Pour curds and yeast solution in it and keep for 10 minutes.
6. Add curds and knead into soft elastic dough.
7. Put dough in a deep vessel and keep aside covered for 10 hours or overnight.
8. Divide dough into 5 parts. Make rounds, place on a greased baking try.
9. Keep aside for 15 minutes. Roll into thick oval or triangle.
10. Keep centre slightly thinner than edges. Preheat oven at 350C.
11. Sprinkle some saffron water, khuskhus, and raisins over naan.
12. Wet bottom and stick to baking tray. Make as many will fit in tray.
13. Bake for 4-5 minutes or till done.
14. Remove, drizzle some butter over it if desired.
15. Serve hot with curries or gravied vegetables.
Making time: 1 hour (excluding maturing)
Makes: 5 naans
Tandoori Roti (without Tandoor)
2 cups slightly coarse wheat flour
1/4 cups maida
2 tbsp ghee
2 tbsp curd
salt to taste.
Knead slightly stiff dough cover and keep for 2 hours.
Take naan sized dough and make a ball.
Roll to a thickish roti (4-5 mm thick).
Heat griddle (tawa) place on tawa and dry one side.
Wet upper side with water and invert.
Invert griddle and roast over gas flame (or if available a barb- que coalfire). It will fall off when done.
Serve hot with desired vegetables.
2-1/2 cups wheat flour
thin buttermilk or water.
Knead soft dough with above ingredients. Break off to a table tennis - ball sized (even smaller) bit of dough.
Roll with help of dry flour to a thin round. Roll as thin as possible (about 2 mm thik).
Heat griddle (tawa) and place phulka it.
When dry on one side, turn. When brown spots appear on second side, turn again. Use a kitchen towel and lightly press and Phulka, rotating at same time. It will puff. Make as crisp as desired.
Apply ghee on crisp side and serve hot. Practice is required to make the Phulka puff fully, so don't lose heart. Serve hot with vegetable curries.
3 cups wheat flour
1 tsp. black pepper freshly ground
1/2 tsp. fennel seeds coarsely crushed
1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
1/4 tsp. ajwain seeds (omum)
4 -5 pinches asafoetida
1 tbsp. butter
salt to taste
ghee for shallow frying
warm milk to knead dough
1. Sieve together flour and salt.
2. Add all other ingredients except ghee and milk.
3. Mix well. Knead into a soft pliable dough.
4. Divide dough into 10 parts.
5. Roll into a thick paratha.
6. Prick with a knife or fork all over.
7. Heat griddle, roast on both sides.
8. Drizzle a little ghee on both sides.
9. Shallow fry both sides till crisp and golden spots appear.
10. Serve hot, with dals or vegetables, as desired.
Making time: 30 minutes
Makes: 10 rotis
Shelflife: Best fresh