+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are we raising a generation of nincompoops?

Default Are we raising a generation of nincompoops?

http://columbustelegram.com/news/nat...7b2b67048.html

Interesting article and how today's kids pretty much take things for granted . . . and I thought it was bad when I had to explain to my son, when he was 6, what a record was.
    ~ Just loves it when the entire web and surrounding forums are chatting about ME and oh...the lies that are being told are outlandish! Apparently I have so many powers! Does this mean I am that important to so many people???!!!! Gotta love it ! There is NO such this as bad PR :-)

~By the power vested in me, I now pronounce you deleted and blocked. You may now kiss my ass!!!!

~"ALL publicity is good publicity"

~"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery."

Default Re: Are we raising a generation of nincompoops?

I had a friend who is babying, er, I mean, raising her 10-year-old boy. He got his shoes tied for him, couldn't operate a tent zipper, and doesn't know how to ride a bike. When I was in the middle of making dinner one time when they were over he asked if we could go to Dairy Queen instead.

I know nincompoops are being raised, I just don't know if it's fair to say this generation can be characterized like that. Seems too broad, and kids will be kids, and they grow up. Also, this kid I mentioned does great in school, so if he eventually grows up to be a contributing educated member of society, could we really say he was raised as a nincompoop?

I think that lumping the entire generation into this nincompoop category is too broad, as you said.

I know plenty of 'kids' in this age group and for the most part, the vast majority of them are quite intelligent and are aware of how to operate things, and do many things for themselves. Then there are those remaining, a small percentage, that I know, that at the rate they are going, will never be able to live on their own....not even in a college dorm, let alone their own apartment or home.

I feel for the small percentage of 'kids', as they are doing what they were taught by their parents. I feel that the parents are the ones that should be held accountable for their actions.

I could never hold my son back from achieving any goal he set forth for himself. As a parent, I've always strived to give my kids everything I never had while growing up. I want my kids to be able to survive on their own.
    ~ Just loves it when the entire web and surrounding forums are chatting about ME and oh...the lies that are being told are outlandish! Apparently I have so many powers! Does this mean I am that important to so many people???!!!! Gotta love it ! There is NO such this as bad PR :-)

~By the power vested in me, I now pronounce you deleted and blocked. You may now kiss my ass!!!!

I think you have to know when to hold them close and when to let them go. I can be a total helicopter mom when the need arises, but if I were to be one Ll the time, my son would never learn to stand on his own two feet.

Most of you don't know this, but my son was assaulted in his college town last Saturday night, and suffered a fractured cheek bone, a fractured orbital bone, and various other bruises and contusions. My husband and I didn't even know until Sunday evening, because he felt he could deal with his injuries on his own. He took himself to the hospital, called us with results, and I drove up to spend the day Monday. It killed me to leave him (he looked awful), but he was perfectly capable of going to follow up dr visits and to classes, so I left him to it. Despite a mom who would like to do everything for him, he's learned pretty well to take care of himself. Now he just needs boxing lessons.

Anyway, my point being - we all want to make it easier for our children, and sometimes it's perfectly acceptable to do so, but you have to know when to pull back, even when your heart doesn't want to.
    "If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the precipitate." ~ Henry J. Tillman

Sometimes yes and sometimes no.

It is with great sadness and contemplation that I address the issue of total the expulsion of a student from our high school. Should he go? Probably yes, given his increasingly erratic behavior.
    Given Colubine, no school administrater can afford a perceived attempt at another child's life. He will now go to a lock down school at my district's expense.

I greive for the parents who I have known since the child was three years old. They did everything to get him proper services and pschological support, at much personal expense. He was special needs: Aspherger's and ADD.
    Puberty was too much for him and he stalked girls who spurned his advances. He actively recruited other students to help him kill the last girl who spurned his last advances. He was greeted by the principle and the local police force at 7 am on a Monday morning. He was immediately suspended and expelled by Friday. I am not disputing his expulsion.

Again I cry for the family. I wonder; there go I but for the grace of God. It may be me in three years time.

Want to start another disscussion on helicopters mom?
    Last edited by Catwoman; 11-05-2010 at 10:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cbaby View Post
    http://columbustelegram.com/news/nat...7b2b67048.html

Interesting article and how today's kids pretty much take things for granted . . . and I thought it was bad when I had to explain to my son, when he was 6, what a record was.
    It's not 'today's kids' plenty of adults fall into that category. "Attitude of Entitlement" is my label for it. They think they are all that matters, they are self- centered, never once stop to consider their actions and how they impact those around them, think businesses should cater to them any time they disagree with a business's rules (well I don't like your return policy therefore you should change it for me), etc etc. It's also not new. I was working as a department coordinator at a medical univ (research side) and handling the graduate student program (this was in 98) and the grad students (who were my age) were whining because their FREE lunch (that had been ordered as a courtesy so they could spend some quality time with visiting researchers) wasn't up to par for them even though it was pretty good and better than they'd get in food services.

As for the article --- there's a shitload of stupid adults out there so....no surprise if the average IQ is a bit lower these days.
    Last edited by Bitch; 11-06-2010 at 11:02 AM.
    Amazing how many idiots believe everything they read online... (Christ how obvious do I have to be)

Democracy is a device that ensures we shall be governed no better than we deserve. - George Bernard Shaw

I agree, Bitch. It seems that the majority of people today (any age) have that sense of Entitlement. It is very bothersome and really affects the way that Americans are looked upon. I wasn't raised that way, so it's difficult for me to find any such tolerance for these kinds of people. Stupid adults raising stupid kids ... blunt but truthful.

Oh Catwoman...I hear you loud and clear!

It's always the damned if we do and damned if we don't society ....

Hey Ladies! Good to see you both on a more sane board.

My kids have not been raised with a sense of entitlement. Especially with the economic meltdown, I have told them if they want something like a new video game, they have to figure out ways to actually earn the money. They are unusually creative now that two are teenagers and one is eleven. The two teenagers (girl and boy) babysit almost every weekend and somtimes during the week. This is a very lucrative activity with pay $10-15 an hour (tax free!) They still get to spend time with friends on the off night. On days that school is not in session but most parents have to work, they make over a hundred hours day. The boys mow lawns, shovel snow, rake lawns, and animal sit and walk dogs. My kids have no sense of entitlement. They own their grades and I do no help with papers or homework. They earn them with no tutors provided. If they need help, then I drive them to early morning extra help.

Call it tough love in a village of over indulged children, but it is working.

I myself started to babysit at 12-13. By 14 I was stuffing enveoples in an office, after school for for sub level minium wage. I was on the books. I progressed to a bakery at 16 for minimum wage. The rest is history. I worked throughout collge and every summer. I qualified for social security at 34 by dint of being on the books for over 20 years or since I was 14. I may add I qualify at the highest scial scurity level since my maximum social security earnings where at 34. lol. I took time off to raise my kids and my income got hit. I am now back to work.

I tell my kids nothing is free in life and there is no free ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Dora View Post
    I think you have to know when to hold them close and when to let them go. I can be a total helicopter mom when the need arises, but if I were to be one Ll the time, my son would never learn to stand on his own two feet.

Most of you don't know this, but my son was assaulted in his college town last Saturday night, and suffered a fractured cheek bone, a fractured orbital bone, and various other bruises and contusions. My husband and I didn't even know until Sunday evening, because he felt he could deal with his injuries on his own. He took himself to the hospital, called us with results, and I drove up to spend the day Monday. It killed me to leave him (he looked awful), but he was perfectly capable of going to follow up dr visits and to classes, so I left him to it. Despite a mom who would like to do everything for him, he's learned pretty well to take care of himself. Now he just needs boxing lessons.

Anyway, my point being - we all want to make it easier for our children, and sometimes it's perfectly acceptable to do so, but you have to know when to pull back, even when your heart doesn't want to.
    Skip the boxing....have him learn krav maga. Trust me, it greatly increases the odds of him coming home with his mug more or less intact
    "The president believes that federal resources should not be used to circumvent state laws" and expects his appointees to follow that policy, Schapiro said."

I couldn't agree more with you. I started working at 12 babysitting and then got my first job at 14 at an amusement park where I worked for 7 years.

My kids also were not raised with that nasty 'sense of entitlement' you want something, you work for it. Society as a whole shouldn't indulge anyone with this, but it is up to us as parents to try to continue how we were raised and pass that along to our kids, who in turn, hopefully, will pass it along to their own kids when they have kids.

+ Reply to Thread